As empaths, it is sometimes – ok, often very difficult to stay in our own energy. We want to help, because we can see and feel people suffering every day. What tends to happen naturally as we interact with others is we create cords to these people or situations. Many of these are harmless. Others, however, become quite harmful if allowed to continue to exist and we either give our energy to the other person, or accept theirs as our own.
What we often forget, myself included, is to maintain self care. It is very important that we clear our energy as frequently as necessary and cut these cords that are affecting us.
I was in a situation very recently where I failed to maintain self care. After several months, I became disorientated, confused, emotional, exhausted and eventually sick. This was the consequence of me not looking after my own energy first. I managed to clear it with the help of my amazing Kinesiologist, but through this experience I realized it is much more effective to look after yourself on a daily basis. You might find that you need help from a therapist of this kind at some point, so follow your own intuition as to whether you need this extra boost.
In the meantime, the following are a few tips to maintaining your own energy levels that you can perform daily. Some of them take a few moments while others are a bit more elaborate, so choose which one you like or have time for. Just remember, it is all about intent.
- White Sage: This is an excellent cleanser. Simply light the incense and run the smoke over your body through your aura. Make sure you start this practice with a statement of intent, such as ‘I intend for this incense to cleanse and purify my aura and cut and heal any cords or attachments’. If you need a heavy duty cleanse, pair it with dragonsblood, as this amplifies the properties of any incense it is burning with. Most people will use a smudge stick, but I often use an incense stick out of sheer laziness. Both work just as effectively. Find out what works best for you and the time you have at your disposal.
- Reiki: Reiki is powerful energy healing that can heal on all three levels – mind, body and spirit. It helps to keep us energized and centred. I will do this one of four ways: reiki myself to sleep by placing my activated hands on my body as I drift off, draw the power or master symbol on the shower head and have a reiki bath, give myself a full reiki session, or send distance reiki to myself, programming it to be sent to me throughout the day or whatever other period I wish. These are just a few, but with reiki, the only limit is your imagination! This may be more difficult if you aren’t reiki attuned, however, you can always find a practitioner in your area to work with as a therapist or your reiki master teacher.
- Crystals: These are good for protection or fortification, but some, like amethyst, will clear and transmute the negative energy around you and others, like clear quartz, can be programmed. They are also very easy to use, as you simply put one on your person in a pocket or wear as jewelry. You can also pair them together: I have paired amethyst and apache tear (obsidian) together for clearing and protection. Just remember, that some crystals don’t ‘like’ each other in the sense they don’t vibrate at the same frequency or are trying to do two separate things. I once had an amethyst pendant break after wearing it with a carnelian… Follow your gut, but do your research too!
- Essential Oils: I have recently made myself a spray with sage and white angelica, but many people who use these oils simply use white angelica neat on the back of their neck. You can put them anywhere you feel drawn to. I simply spray my aura and body with the spray whenever I feel drawn as an extra boost or if I’m in a hurry. A spray is also good to have as it can cleanse spaces, such as offices, class rooms, cars etc.
- Visualisation: This can be done in a meditation, but often we don’t have time. For when you feel bombarded or leave a conversation not feeling quite yourself, here are some visualisations that can help you to disconnect and reconnect with you quickly:
- Visualise yourself in a protective outfit of some kind, affirming that this will protect you throughout the day. If you don’t like the word ‘protect’ (I was not a huge fan, as it implied there was something to I needed protection from, but other people’s energy, if left unchecked, is that something), I often say ‘my energy is my own’ and I visualise a black cloak, or thick honey, or full armour, or chainmail surround my body and my aura, keeping my energy in (as we often project stuff to others) and other’s energy out.
- Visualise a sword or knife swinging down in front of you and down your back, ask that all cords and attachments are severed and healed. You can also invoke a deity or angel, usually Archangel Michael, in this process as well.
- Go out into the sun and feel or visalise the rays coming down and ask that they transmute any negative energy in your aura, sever and heal all cords and attachments and reconnect you with your own source energy.
- Reiki power symbol can be used around you or the room you’re in by drawing it on the four compass directions and above and below you creating a powerful, cleansing reiki box.
- Visualise roots from the soles of your feet or the base of your spine, extending deep into mother earth. Ask her to send her healing energy back up into your body and aura to cleanse and purify your energy. This one is good as it can be done anywhere, even on the toilet, which is often the only place we get any privacy!
- Meditation: This is the big one. I often do a short 15 minute meditation which clears my chakras, or where I simply lie down and connect to my own soul essence. It doesn’t have to be this long, elaborate meditation with candles and sage burning. Just a simple meditation with the intent to reconnect with your own energy and clear that which doesn’t serve you will suffice. Monkey mind will most likely get in the way, just accept it and remember that sitting in your own energy is one of the most effective ways to boost your strength.
- Grounding on the grass: This will be one of the more difficult for some, especially those who live in big cities. All you need to do is sit or stand on the grass, visualise the roots extending deep into mother earth and ask her to replenish your energy. You can also send the excess energy down to her, just remember to ask it to be transmuted, cleansed and healed – we don’t want to start sending her negative or lower energy! There’s enough going on without us unintentionally adding to it. This is good for the more kinesthetic among us, those who need to do something tangible.
- Exercise: this is also one for the kinesthetic among us. Any exercise done alone with the intention of reconnecting with yourself will work a treat. I wont go into the science or biology here, I have just found that 30 minutes of yoga or walking or cycling works wonders for getting me out of the muck and back to myself. Find what works for you, and remember it is all about intent.
This is by no means a definitive list, but it is certainly a start. As I always say, follow your own gut and do what works for you. Just find something you can do on a daily basis to keep your energy your own. Feel free to add any ways you have found successful in the comments below!